1957 was a very GOOD year.
Thanks to a partnership with the Mississippi Department of Rehabilitation Services beginning in 1957, Goodwill Industries of Mississippi has been able to further both organizations’ mission of helping Mississippians with disabilities find employment and gain independence.
Goodwill of Mississippi opened its first store in July 1957 at 113 South State Street in Jackson. 600 Boy Scouts distributed donation bags to 10,000 households in Jackson during that sweltering Mississippi summer, while Navy and Marine reserves helped the Scouts collect the bags. These generous contributions
Those generous contributions allowed Goodwill to open with an abundance of clothes and goods for the public.
Since the 1950s, Goodwill of Mississippi has grown significantly from that first location on South State Street. With numerous locations across the state, we serve more Mississippians than ever before. Our core mission is the same one we started with all those years ago: Goodwill helps people with disabilities and other barriers obtain employment.
As the first executive director of Goodwill of Mississippi, Douglas Hackett stated: “In order to be served by Goodwill, a person must be willing to put forth an effort to serve Goodwill.” Goodwill of Mississippi, in partnership with a caring community, continues to offer a hand up to those with barriers to climb — for 60 years and counting!